Last Updated on May 3, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service from an affiliate such as Amazon after clicking a link on this website, we earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Are you looking for a cordless power drill but don’t know which one to go for? There are so many models to choose from it’s enough to make your head spin.
To save you time and help you decide, we’ve looked at some of the machines available on Amazon.co.uk and put together this list of 9 of the best selling and popular cordless drills.
Before you buy, especially if you can’t decide between buying a corded or cordless drill, you might want to check out our drill buying guide. You might also want to check look at our other page, which is similar to this one, on the best corded power drills.
Best Cordless Power Drills
- A compact two gear combi drill for all screw driving, drilling and hammer drilling into wood, metal and masonry
- All metal motor and gearbox that deliver 21 000 BPM for hammer drilling in masonry applications and 0 - 1 400 RPM variable speed for drilling and screw driving applications
- 10 torque setting for precise screw driving into various materials and the variable speed function for control in a range of applications
- Keyless chuck for fast and easy bits changes with a double ended screwdriver bit included so you can start your projects straight away
- Hardwearing kit box to store and transport the tool
- LI-ION POWER: The Terratek 18V/20V Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill Set is supplied with a powerful Li-ion battery which results in having no memory effect, no self-discharge and always ready for use....
- FLEXIBLE: Get greater control over your li-ion cordless screwdriver with 16 different torque settings available to use with, you will always be able to find the perfect setting for whatever material,...
- ERGONOMIC: The 18V/20V Cordless Drill offers both power and control with its soft grip, ergonomic design, 0.8 - 10mm keyless chuck and a light weight of only 1.0 Kg. This electric screwdriver is more...
- VERSATILE: Included in the Cordless Drill Set is a 13 piece kit that contains 1x magnet holder, 6x drill bits, 2x Pozi-drive screwdriver attachments, 2x Phillips screwdriver attachments and 2x slotted...
- 2 YEAR GUARANTEE: For your peace of mind we offer a 24 month guarantee on our Terratek 18V Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill Set with 13pc Drill Bit Kit (Upgraded Model)
- The PSB 1800 LI-2 cordless combi drill – power and comfort for drilling and screwdriving operations
- Optimum power for every task 3-in-1 system that can be used for screwdriving, drilling and impact drilling. It also features 20 torque settings for screwdriving in different materials
- Suitable for different materials For drilling and screwdriving in wood and metal or impact drilling in masonry, Drilling in metal 2.5 m/s²
- Easy screw and drill bit changes The cordless combi drill features a 10 mm shank and a single-sleeve drill chuck
- Power for ALL 18 V The battery supplied is compatible with all tools within the green Bosch Home & Garden 18 volt system
- 【3-In-1 Hammer Drill & 42Nm Max torque】 Faxamol Combi Drill driver has 3 working modes: screwing, drilling and hammer drilling, the hammer function, which can greatly increase your work...
- 【2-Variable Speed & 25+3 Clutch】 Electric Drill Driver can be set to operate in two different speed ranges (0-550RPM, 0-1850RPM), so you will always have the power you need. Moreover, Cordless...
- 【Durable 2.0Ah Li-ion Battery & Fast Charging】 2*2.0Ah large capacity Li-ion battery, it's durable that you have no worries about running out of power in the middle of a project. Cordless drill is...
- 【Easy to Use & Quick Chuck】 3/8" (10mm) auto lock chuck helps you change bits quickly. Cordless Combi Drill offers you a comfortable balanced and soft grip. Built-in LED light helps you work in...
- 【Widely Applications】 Power drill comes with Cordless Drill*1, 2.0Ah Li-ion Battery*2, Fast Charger*1, Carry Case*1, Brad Point Drill Bit*5, Twist Drill Bit*7, Impact Drill Bit*3, Flexible Drill...
- POWERFUL & VERSATILE: Compact Li-ion 18V combi DIY drill with an improved 2 speed gearbox - easily drills through wood, metal and other materials, supplied with a 13 piece accessory kit and a handy...
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: Our innovative, compact electric cordless drill features an LED work light to help you work in hard to see spaces and a soft grip handle to maximise handling comfort and lessen...
- ERGONOMIC: This 18V cordless drill set gives you variable speed control and unique electric safety brake system - this, combined with 19 torque settings, enables smooth drilling into a variety of...
- EASY TO USE: Change drill bits easily and alternate between a choice of 2 gears (for high and low speed drilling & driving - first gear provides greater torque and control and second gear provides...
- RECHARGEABLE: The Li-ion battery pack provides a high-power output level and enables a substantial number of charging cycles. Quick-change action on the spring-loaded battery pack allows you to...
- 18V Cordless Combi Drill ideal for drilling in masonry, wood, plastic and metal, as well as driving screws
- A ratcheting chuck improves bit grip strength, making this tool compatible with all standard drilling and screwdriving bits up to 13mm
- A 2-speed gearbox delivers 500/1800rpm and up to 50Nm of torque to match different materials and applications
- 24 torque settings help to drive screws flush every time for a perfect finish
- Includes 2x Ryobi ONE+ 1.5Ah batteries and a charger, compatible with over 100 other Ryobi one+ tools for the home and garden
- Lithium-Ion battery technology; Syneon Chip: Intelligently controlled energy for every project
- Screwdriving, drilling, impact drilling in wood, metal and masonry; Two speed gearbox
- Drill bits for metal, masonry and wood
- Assortment of screwdriving bits
- dcd776c1 professional COMBI drill
- Dewalt cordless hammer drill complete kit
- dcd776c1 comes with x1 dcb185 xr battery
- dcb107 rapid 1 hour battery charger
- heavy duty Dewalt carrying case
- 20V 13-PIECE CORDLESS DRILL DRIVER: This NETTA 20V 13-Piece Cordless Drill Driver is the perfect tool for all of your DIY jobs for around your home. With a no-load speed of 650rpm and a maximum torque...
- VERSATILE: This drill can be used on a range of materials including wood, metal, plastic and more. The 13-piece kit includes 6 x 25mm bits, 6 x drills and 1 x magnetic holder.
- LITHIUM-ION BATTERY: The powerful lithium-ion battery that comes with this product will provide you with enough power to get any job around the house finished. This product features an LED work light...
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: This Lightweight 20V Cordless Drill boasts a comfy and ergonomic design to ensure that you have no issues using this item over a long period of time. Weighing only 1.5kg and...
- WARRANTY: This NETTA product comes with a 365-day warranty to give you peace of mind when purchasing one of our products.
What to consider when buying a cordless drill
- The higher the voltage, the more powerful the drill. Most home DIYers will get adequate service from an 18v machine, but if you’re in the trade, you should choose a 24v or higher model. For light work, a 12v machine is fine.
- Battery capacity is rated using an Ah measurement. Ah stands for ampere hour or amp-hour. The higher the Ah number, the more powerful the battery (and weightier too!).
- How many batteries do you need? In an ideal world, you’ll want to have at least two batteries with one always fully charged and ready to take over if the one you’re using goes flat.
- Lithium-ion batteries are used in most cordless drills these days. They’re lightweight, more powerful than their older counterparts and they’re safer for the environment. You can charge a lithium-ion battery whenever you want (you don’t have to wait for it to go flat) and there’s no self-discharge (loss of stored charge) when it hasn’t been used for a long time.
- Brushless motors. Drills built with brushless motors tend to last longer, provide better torque control and faster speeds due to reduced friction and heat build-up.
- Weight. Always take into consideration the weight of the drill before you buy.
How to choose the best type of drill for you
Are you confused by the various types of drill on the market? In this short drill buying guide, we’ll dig a little deeper into your choices. You’ll also find some helpful tips and advice on how to choose the best drill for you.
How will you use your drill?
Knowing how you’ll use your drill helps focus your options.
For light DIY jobs around the house, such as hanging pictures, putting up shelves and building flatpack furniture, a drill driver is best. They’re used for drilling into different kinds of material such as wood and metal and for driving screws. They’re so much easier to use compared to traditional, manual screwdrivers, and they get the job done quicker!
For drilling into concrete or brickwork, you’ll need a combi drill with hammer function or a hammer drill. A drill driver doesn’t have the power to handle this type of DIY work.
That’s just a quick overview. Keep reading. We’re about to go into more detail.
4 types of electric power drill currently on the market
An electric power drill typically falls into one of the following categories:
- Combi drill
- Drill driver
- Impact driver
- Hammer drill
A combi (combination) drill is a great all-rounder. You use it for drilling into wood or metal and for driving screws. And when you switch to the hammer action, you can use it for drilling into concrete and masonry.
Whatever material you’re drilling into, always make sure you’re using the correct drill bit.
Pros of combi drills
- A versatile machine with the ability to drill into wood, metal, masonry and concrete
- Can be used as a standard drill, hammer drill or impact driver
- A wide range of choices with prices to fit every pocket
Cons of combi drills
- Lower torque and speed compared to impact drivers when driving screws
- Heavier and bulkier than other types of drill
Drill drivers don’t have the power or versatility of the combi drill. They’re a good choice for drilling into wood and metal and for driving screws. But they don’t have the power to tackle concrete or brickwork.
For drilling into brick walls or concrete posts, the drill driver is the wrong choice. For light DIY jobs around the home, it’s at the top of the list.
Pros of drill drivers
- Typically cheaper than combi drills
- Use on metal and wood
- Doubles up as a powerful and efficient screwdriver
Cons of drill drivers
- Not suitable for heavy work such as drilling into masonry
- Not as strong as a combi drill
Impact drivers add a bit of clout when needed. They’re high torque machines designed to drive screws or tighten/loosen bolts. Instead of the typical 13mm chuck you find on a power drill, they have a 1/4″ hex bit holder for attaching screwdriver and bolt bits.
You can use them for drilling but you’ll need a set of hex shank drill bits to do that.
Pros of impact drivers
- Ideal for high torque applications
- Awesome screwdriver
- Compact design so they can get into tight spaces
Cons of impact drivers
- Not suitable for drilling masonry
- Not as versatile as combi drills or drill drivers
Hammer drills are used for drilling into brickwork, stone and concrete. They use a hammering action to provide rapid and powerful blows to the material’s surface. With the proper machine and correct masonry bit, you’ll drill a hole in no time.
Pros of hammer drills
- Perfect for drilling into brickwork, stone and concrete
Cons of hammer drills
- Not designed to be used on wood or metal
- Not as versatile as a combi drill or drill driver
- Bulkier and heavier than other types of drill
When you’re buying a drill, always shop around for bargains. There are plenty to be had if you’re in the right place at the right time. Choose a machine that matches the kind of DIY work you do, and always spend as much as you can afford at the time.