Last Updated on August 5, 2022
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product or service from an affiliate such as Amazon after clicking a link on this website, we earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
If you only have one hammer in your DIY toolbox, make it a claw hammer. The reason for this is its versatility. The head of a claw hammer is smooth on one side and contains a type of claw on the other side.
DIYers typically use a hammer for knocking-in nails, but sometimes nails don’t go in straight and need pulling out again. This is where the claw side of a claw hammer comes into its own. If you need to pull out a wonky nail or remove a rusty one from a piece of wood, the claw side will do the job with ease.
Claw hammers are also useful for light demolition work such as breaking up old furniture.
A good quality claw hammer will last for years, so always spend as much as you can on one.
What to look for when buying a claw hammer
Claw hammer manufacturers traditionally market their products by weight in ounces. With heavier hammers providing more power when working with nails and performing light demolitions. Claw hammers are typically available in the following weights:
It’s worth noting that this is the weight of the head section and not the overall weight of the item.
If you only need one hammer for general DIY tasks, choose the middle weight – 16oz.
What materials are claw hammers made from?
Manufacturers typically make claw hammers from forged steel or fibreglass, with a rubber or bi-material grip handle.
You can still buy wooden-handled claw hammers. And while they look smart, there’s more chance of the handle breaking after long periods of use, which makes them a less popular choice these days.
Claw hammer brands include:
- Blue Spot Tools
Best selling and popular claw hammers
Below, you’ll find a list of 5 of the best selling and popular claw hammers available over on Amazon UK.
- Claw hammer is perfect for hammering and removal of nails
- Strong fiberglass shaft provides additional strength and durability
- Added protection and durability within key vulnerable area of shaft from when hammer is accidentally overstriked from target area
- Bi-material grip with gripping ribs for improved comfort and anti slip grip
- 20Oz Fibreglass hammer is ideal for driving larger nails up to 75mm and above for general heavy duty fixing
- Solid forged head and shaft for maximum durability and strength
- Curved claw leverage for added torque when pulling and prying nails or boards
- Unique large D shaped striking face
- Injection moulded grip which provides comfort
- FIBREGLASS CORE - Ideal for strength and long term durability. Dampens the power of the strike reducing the stress on wrist and hands
- TPR COMFORT GRIP COVER - Made for those that hammer for long periods. Softer to the touch than the average hammer and the TPR ensures a grippy hold
- NAIL REMOVAL CLAW - Designed for those nails that don't quite go in right. A claw hammer, that meets all your DIY requirements
- VERSATILE - 20oz / 567g - Covers every possible use. From the small everyday household DIY project such as use as a pin hammer, to full scale building projects.
- PERFECT FOR TRADESMAN - A great electricians hammer as well as useful for builders and other tradesman that require the use of a hammer regularly
- STURDY: This 8oz (225g) claw hammer has a drop forged, hardened and tempered head and a strong fibreglass shaft
- COMFORTABLE: The hammer is fitted with a non-slip rubber grip
- WELL MADE - These claw hammers are made of solid forged steel with a shock absorbing fiberglass to protect your hands. Our lightweight, perfectly balanced utility hammers are made of high-quality...
- NON-SLIP GRIP - Deliver powerful and precise strikes without worrying about losing control of your claw hammer. The TPR non-slip grip cover provides a smooth feel while offering excellent durability...
- VERSATILE - A convenient curved claw helps you pull nails quickly and easily. Perfect for use as a roofing hammer and DIY projects, household repairs, woodworking, construction, carpentry, demolition...
- ERGONOMIC - Our TPR comfort grip cover is designed to absorb shock and prevent hand fatigue. A smooth comfort grip handle protects wrists and hands while delivering powerful blows on the job. Feels...
- PRACTICAL GIFT - There is no need for another tool when you have these handy hammers at your side! Perfect gift idea for men and women on Father's Day, Christmas, anniversaries, and birthdays.